Expressions of Interest sought for council representatives on the Sydney Western City Planning Panel
Closes: Oct 21, 2022, 5:00 PM
Wollondilly Shire Council is seeking to establish a pool of external expert community representatives to act as alternates in the event that appointed Councillors are unavailable.
Each Planning Panel consists of five members, with three of the members, including the Chair, appointed by the Minister (State members), and two members nominated by the relevant council (council members).
Property developers and real estate agents are not eligible to be members of a Planning Panel.
In section 4.4 of the attached Sydney and Regional Planning Panel Operational Procedures it states that two council members are appointed by each council.
4.4 Council members
Two council members are appointed by each council. At least one council member must have expertise in one or more of the following areas: planning, architecture, heritage, the environment, urban design, land economics, traffic and transport, law, engineering or tourism.
4.5 Selection of council members
Each council determines how their members are selected. In selecting members, councils should have regard to any conflict of duties that would be created for a person nominated to the Planning Panel if they are in any way responsible or involved in the assessment of matters to be determined by the Panel or involved in voting or deliberating on matters that come before the Panel.
Councils are not restricted to nominating people from the council’s local area. They can appoint, terminate, and reappoint members at any time, and can determine the duration of each appointment. Generally, so as to ensure the greatest degree of continuity for the Panels, councils should consider appointing members for the maximum term of three years provided for under the EP&A Act. However, councils should reconsider if the nominations to the Panels are appropriate within 12 months following a council election.
This is a part-time, paid role, Councils determine the fees they pay their Panel members. The Minister has provided guidance to all councils on appropriate rates of remuneration for travel and subsistence allowances for their members.
The Sydney Western City Planning Panel was created in September 2017 by merging the Sydney West and Sydney South West Planning Panels which were created in November 2016. Although similar in operation, the roles of local planning panels and the Western Sydney City Planning Panels do not overlap.
The Planning Panels
- determine regionally significant development applications (DAs), certain other DAs and s4.55(2) and s4.56 modification applications
- act as the Planning Proposal Authority (PPA) when directed
- undertake rezoning reviews
- provide advice on other planning and development matters when requested.
The Planning Panels determine regionally significant development applications (DAs), certain other DAs and s4.55(2) and s4.56 modification applications.
- Regional development, as outlined in Schedule 6 of the State Environmental Planning Policy (Planning Systems) 2021.
- development with a capital investment value (CIV)* over $30 million
Development with a CIV* over $5 million which is:
- council related
- lodged by or on behalf of the Crown (State of NSW)
- private infrastructure and community facilities
- eco-tourist facilities
- extractive industries, waste facilities and marinas that are designated development,
- certain coastal subdivisions
- development with a CIV* between $10 million and $30 million which is referred to the Planning Panel by the applicant after 120 days.
* Capital investment value (CIV) is calculated at the time of lodgement of the DA for the purpose of determining whether an application should go to a Planning Panel - refer to Planning Circular PS 10-008.
Developments which meet State Significant Development criteria are not determined by the Sydney and Regional Planning Panels.
For more information please refer to the https://pp.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/planningpanels and to the NSW Government Planning Panels Sydney & Regional Planning Panels Operational Procedures.
Council will receive applications up to close of business 21 October 2022, applications can be submitted:
By Email: email@example.com
By Post: Chief Executive Officer, Wollondilly Shire Council, PO Box 21, PICTON NSW 2571