Wollondilly Shire Council Emergency Recovery Centre
Council has established an Emergency Recovery Information Centre for those wishing to seek information and referral.
- Hours: 8am- 4pm
- Location: Council Administration Building, 62-64 Menangle Street, Picton
- Phone: You can also call 1800 325 155 for information and recovery assistance.
Balmoral Community Recovery Centre
Support at the recovery centre will temporarily cease from today (20 March 2020) and while COVID-19 remains a health concern for our community.
Discussions held with various voluntary groups and agencies identified that while there are low or no confirmed cases of COVID-19 within the area, most people are self-isolating and avoiding locations where it could be spread.
And the volunteers who are operating the centre are of an age that is particularly vulnerable to the risk of infection.
The team who manage the Hub are keen to continue providing support to bushfire affected residents so a range of options are being considered such as making goods available via a number of agencies, using the GIVIT service www.givit.org.au/services.
Further information will be shared about ways to access local services in coming days. Please continue to use the following key contacts:
- Wingecarribee Bushfire Recovery Hotline 1800 316 500
- Wollondilly Shire Council 4677 1100
- Service NSW 13 77 88
- Laing O’Rourke 1800 007 539
- Support from non-government organisations
Please also note that Laing O'Rourke representatives have been visiting registered properties in the Wollondilly and Wingecarribee areas to arrange site clean-up. If you have not yet been contacted about your clean-up it is important that you double check they have your details as soon as possible. To check please call 1800 007 539 and they can also help you to register.
Red Cross Update Due to Coronavirus
The Picton CWA, have decided that in the safety directions of COVID-19, their volunteers are in the high risk category, therefore they have decided it’s better to cease their activities for the time being.
The Southern Highlands Emergency Services team would like to keep in touch with bushfire impacted families to ensure they are ok and to also assist anyone who would like us to help them apply for any of the grant upgrades. In particular .. the Red Cross Primary residence repair grant for home owners whose homes have been structurally damaged. From 12 March 2020, eligibility has been extended to include destruction or damage to critical private water, septic and/or power infrastructure. Also the Small Business Support Grant which became available on 13th March through Service NSW.
The Red Cross team are happy to have a chat and navigate individuals or small business owners in applying and how to include the necessary documents.
You may contact the team on:
Recovery Centre Details
Volunteers from Picton CWA and Buxton RFS have set up a Community Recovery Hub in the Balmoral Hall to assist directly affected residents of both Wingecarribee and Wollondilly local government areas. The hub is a one-stop shop, providing practical assistance and support for people impacted by the bush fires.
- Location: Balmoral Hall, Wilson Drive, Balmoral
- Hours: Sundays and Wednesdays between 10am and 3pm
- Phone: Kerrie O'Grady 0413 003 601 | Kim Hill 0412 786 114
At the hub, you can access mental health support and find out about Disaster Welfare Services. Depending on the roster of agencies visiting, you can speak to Service NSW, Red Cross, NSW Health, Legal Aid, Fair Trading, Salvation Army, chaplains, insurers and other agencies to support your recovery. Volunteers have a wealth of knowledge about all sorts of financial support and shipping containers of donations are available for you to access.
Supplies/ services available include:
- women's and children's clothes
- men's and boys clothes
- workwear men's and women's
- shoes- new and second hand all good condition
- linen- sheets; towels; dooners; blankets; pillow slips, etc.
- new toys/second hand toys/books
- school supplies
- tools both second hand and new all in good condition- managed by local Men's sheds
- small whitegoods; crockery; cutlery; glass ware
- service agencies on site- Red Cross; Community Links; St Vincent De Paul; Lions Club; Salvation Army; C3 Church