Pets and Animals Information
Wollondilly Animal Shelter is located on Wonga Road, Picton. The Animal Shelter opening hours are as follows:
- Weekdays between 3pm and 4:30pm
- Weekends between 10am and 1pm
- The Animal Shelter is closed on Public Holidays
The Animal Shelter can be contacted via phone on 4677 1100 during the week or by contacting 4677 0462 on weekends.
The Wollondilly Animal Shelter is always looking for volunteers to help with caring for the animals who come into the shelter. If you would like to volunteer at the Wollondilly Animal Shelter contact Council on 4677 1100 or email@example.com
Council maintains a number of off-leash areas across the Shire for pet owners to enjoy. The location of the off-leash areas is as follows:
- Picton Sportsground: located on Fairleys Road, Picton
- Appin Park: located on the corner of Appin Road and Market Street, Appin
- Bargo Sportsground: enter through Radnor Road, Bargo
- Thirlmere Way: located in front of the DNA BMX and Skate Park on Thirlmere Way at Tahmoor
- Lin Gordon Reserve: located on Oaks Road, Thirlmere
- Warragamba Sportsground: located on the corner of Warradale Road and Farnsworth Avenue, Warragamba
There is signage at each location so you know exactly where to go. Bins within these locations will accept dog waste and officers do regular random patrols of these areas.
Council investigates complaints regarding Companion Animal Behaviour. This includes complaints regarding straying animals, aggressive animals and dog attacks, and nuisance animals including barking dogs and noisy roosters. To make a complaint or for advice regarding these types of matters contact Council on 4677 1100. A dog attack must be reported to Council and can be reported 24 hours a day to our after hours service by contacting 4677 1100.
Council understands that sometimes circumstances can change and you may need to surrender your animal. Animals can be surrendered to the Wollondilly Animal Shelter during opening hours by the registered owner for a fee. Alternatively, Council can arrange for collection of a surrendered animal for a fee.
Wollondilly Shire Council has an excellent re-homing rate and will only euthanase your animal with your consent, or if officers determine the animal is unsafe or unfit to be re-homed. When you surrender an animal, you will be required to complete a surrender form to assist Council officers with re-homing your animal.