Bargo Waste Management Centre
Posted on: 17.08.2016
Council has been advised that a waste transport truck is suspected to have come from a construction site outside of Wollondilly and deposited unapproved and potentially harmful material in the Bargo Waste Management Centre. As the material is reported to have been from a construction site there are concerns that it may contain asbestos.
Due to these concerns the Bargo Waste Management Centre will close temporarily for up to 10 days from Tuesday 16 August to allow testing of the site to be undertaken.
To ensure the safety of the community, Council is working with the EPA and environmental consultants to confirm that safety requirements are adhered to and the proper precautions have been set in place.
Luke Johnson, General Manager stated “Council holds the safety of our Community and Staff as paramount and the testing of the Bargo Waste Management Centre is a precautionary approach to determine if harmful materials have been disposed of at the site.”
Residents will be able to take their household waste to Spring Farm Resource Recovery Park, located on Richardson Rd Spring Farm, as an alternative whilst the Bargo Waste Management Centre is closed.
Regular household collections will not be affected by the closure of the Bargo Centre.
Things to remember before you visit the Bargo Waste Management Centre:
- Sort your waste as you pack it into your vehicles – this will save you time and money
- Council accepts recyclable materials free of charge.
- Residents are able to recycle e-waste for a small fee. E-waste includes things like old batteries, mobile phones and computers.
- Waste generated from outside of the Wollondilly Shire boundaries cannot be lawfully transported to, or deposited at, this facility.
- Proof that you reside in, and/or the waste is from Wollondilly, must be shown upon arrival
For more information on Bargo Waste Management Centre visit www.wollondilly.nsw.gov.au/resident-services/waste/waste-management-centres/bargo-waste-management-centre/ or Council P: 02 4677 1100