Council slams premature rezoning of land at Wilton
Posted on: 13.04.2018
The NSW Minister for Planning Anthony Roberts has today rezoned the Wilton South East Precinct owned by Walker Corporation. Council strongly condemns this decision as grossly premature.
Council has serious concerns with the lack of an adequate infrastructure plan and a number of other crucial planning matters that are yet to be resolved.
Council is frustrated that despite numerous submissions over the past six (6) years, the NSW Government’s 20 year State Infrastructure Strategy (SIS) released last month failed to identify a public transport solution to Wilton New Town.
Council is also concerned that the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) has not committed to identifying and integrating land for a hospital in the not yet finalised Land Use and Infrastructure Implementation Plan or demonstrated how local employment will be generated.
Mayor Judith Hannan said, “This decision is very disappointing and will consign Wilton to a future as a dormitory, car-dependant satellite suburb of Sydney reliant upon employment opportunities outside the Shire for many years,” she said.
Mayor Judith Hannan said, “Council’s vision for Wilton has been clear and consistent from day one and it’s disappointing that after six years of planning the NSW Government has not demonstrated how critical infrastructure and local jobs will be delivered.”
At its upcoming meeting on Monday 16 April 2018, Council was to consider a report calling upon the NSW Government to defer any decision on Wilton New Town until critical public transport, education and health infrastructure issues are resolved.