Youth Week – Beach Safety Workshop @ Wollongong
Posted on: 15.03.2016
Spend a day at the beach with your friends and learn all the tips and tricks to stay safe.
As part of Youth Week, Wollondilly Shire Council is partnering with Campbelltown City Council and Surf Life Saving NSW to provide a free beach workshop at Port Kembla beach. The workshop will be delivered by experienced, highly trained surf lifesavers and lifeguards. It has been developed to promote water awareness and knowledge among young people.
Date: Wednesday 13 April
Time: 8am to 4pm
Pickup: from Wollondilly Shire Hall, Picton at 8am
Location: Port Kembla Beach
The workshop will cover:
- Presentation by Dr Rip (see below)
- Waves and Rip Current identification and what to do if you are caught in a rip
- Basic first aid and CPR
- Beach activities including soccer, volleyball and beach flags
- Role of lifeguards and lifesavers
- Swimming between the flags and signage
- Sun smart and skin cancer prevention strategies
The free workshop includes transport from Picton to and from Port Kembla Beach with free breakfast and lunch. Places are limited so you must register to participate on the day. Under 16’s must get parental permission.
To book or for further details contact Council’s Youth Development Officer – Fran Garcia Darke on email Fran.GarciaDarke@wollondilly.nsw.gov.au