JUDGING OF ENTRIES AND JUDGING CRITERIA
All entries in the Christmas Lights Competition will be personally judged by a panel of appointed judges. Judging
will take place from Monday 2 December till Sunday 8 December you are required to leave your display on during
the judging period as judging will take place randomly. If your lighting display is not on throughout the duration of the judging period you will be deemed ineligible and disqualified from the competition.
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS COMPETITION GUIDELINES
The electronic version accessible on Council’s website and Council’s electronic record system is the controlled
version. Printed copies are considered uncontrolled – before using a printed copy verify that is the current version.
Personal information collected is held and used by Council under the provisions of the Privacy and Personal
Information Protection Act, 1998.
Judging will be based on the following key factors:
• Originality of the Display
• Use of Colour in the display
• Layout and Design of the display
• Use of lighting, animation and sound
• Interaction with the community
• Additional effort put into the display
The Judging panel will consist of:
• 2 Councillors
• A member of the Community (e.g. previous winner)
• Local Member for Wollondilly
Competition Terms & Conditions
1. Entry to the Wollondilly Christmas Lights Competition is free
2. All entries must be based in the Wollondilly Local Government Area
3. Christmas Light Displays belonging to Judging Panel members, Sponsors, Elected Members, Council
Staff or their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
4. All prizes are awarded at the discretion of the Judging Panel, whose decision will be final and no
correspondence will be entered into.
5. At the Judging Panel’s discretion entries may be judged in categories other than the one entered.
6. Entrants must have their light display on from 7pm - midnight from Monday 2 December – Sunday 8 December for judging purposes. Lights not on between this period will result in the entrants house not being judged.
7. All streets entered are advertised (excluding house numbers). Council will not be liable for damaged or stolen
Christmas decorations (including lights) or damage to other property.
8. Christmas lights and decorations must be on show for the entire month of December
9. Entrants must send their best shot of their Christmas Lights display by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Wednesday 4 December (with full address as subject line) to be eligible to enter the People’s Choice category
as well as for the purpose of a slideshow of winners on the presentation evening.
10. Local businesses will be approached to sponsor the prizes for the Christmas Lights Competition.
11. First Prize and Second Prize will be awarded for each category with exception of the Grand Champion and
Mayors Encouragement Awards which will be individual Winner Awards only.
12. Christmas Light Display owners agree to allow their displays to be photographed by a nominated person from
Wollondilly Shire Council or by the general public. Photographs may be reproduced in Wollondilly Shire Council
promotional material to be used by Council at its discretion.
13. If requested, a successful applicant will also be available or willing to make a representative available for publicity purposes either in the local media or in a Council publication or other promotional material.
14. All entrants will be entered into the ‘People’s Choice’ category and agree to have their home photographed and displayed on social media/website for judging. *Please note no address details or names will be listed as part of the voting*
15. Entrants must take into consideration their local environment and neighbours and ensure their displays present no danger to the general public. Consideration must be given to the noise and levels of light emitted by your display.
16. Applicants will be required to submit a completed Christmas Lights Competition Application Form by the due
date. Application forms will be made available from Council’s website www.wollondilly.nsw.gov.au
17. Wollondilly Shire Council, nor the parties involved, will accept any responsibility or will be liable for any injury, loss or damage to an entrant’s property as a result of participation in the Christmas Lights Competition.
18. Awards will be presented from 7.30pm at the Christmas in the Garden: Markets and Movie Night on Friday 13
December 2019 at the Picton Botanic Gardens.