Entries for the 2019 Macarthur Nature Photography Competition are now closed.
In a world seemingly overloaded by a daily avalanche of images, through Instagram, Facebook and television, a striking image can still cut through the clutter of it all, revealing to us something in our worlds that we have been missing.
The Macarthur Councils are once again hosting the highly anticipated Macarthur Nature Photography Competition (MNPC) and are encouraging you to enter your most striking, engaging and enticing images of local native flora, wildlife and natural scenery taken from within the Macarthur area, showcasing your artistic vision and impression of the natural environment to the wider community.
Entries can be submitted online, or by downloading the Nature Photography Competition 2019 Entry Form and returning it in person to councils offices, 62-64 Menangle St Picton.
This year the competition has been split into three age categories outlined below:
- Primary School: 12 years and under.
- High School: 13 - 18 years.
- Open Section: 18 years and over.
We are always exploring new ideas for the competition and new ways to capture nature.
This year's themes are:
- Experience Nature
- Landscapes of Macarthur
To find out more about each of these themes, download a copy of the Nature Photography Competition 2019 Entry Form.
A great project to supplement classroom learning
This competition provides a great avenue for schools to engage their students in visual arts/digital media, science and geography. Our Primary School Teachers Resource Kit and High School Teachers Resource Kit have demonstrated what learning outcomes this competition can achieve for your students.
Prizes for Schools
There are also great prizes for schools. If one of your students enters their photo into the competition and acknowledges their school on the entry form, their entry automatically goes into the running to win "Best Overall Primary School Photo" or "Best Overall High School Photo".
Entries for this competition are now closed.
- Entries open Monday the 16th of September, 2019.
- Entries close Friday the 18th of October, 2019.
The competition will culminate in an Awards Ceremony, with all entrants and their families invited to come along and celebrate the amazing photography.
All images are displayed on the night for people to view, catering will be provided and an MC and guest speaker make the night more than just an awards announcement.
All people who enter the competition will be notified of the date and location of the award ceremony closer to the event.
This year will once again see a huge prize pool for winning images both for individuals and schools.
Primary school aged (5 to 12 years)
- $100 cash and $100 Narellan Town Centre voucher for first place in each theme*
- $75 cash for second place in each theme*
High school aged (13 to 18 years)
- $150 cash and $100 Narellan Town Centre voucher for first place in each theme*
- $100 cash for second place in each theme*
Open section (18+ years)
- $250 cash and $100 Narellan Town Centre voucher for first place in each theme*
- $150 cash for second place in each theme*
Experience Nature and Landscapes of Macarthur
- $100 nature based experience voucher for winner in each category (Primary school aged 5 to 12 years)
- $150 nature based experience voucher for winner in each category (High school aged 13 to 18 years)
- $200 nature based experience voucher for winner in each category (Open section 18+ years)
*Only for Flora, Fauna and Waterways themes.
This year residents will be able to participate in a free Walk ‘n’ Talk with bird and photography specialist Mark Fuller at Thirlmere Lakes on Saturday 5th October 2019 from 8am to 10am.
For more information or to register for the free event, visit trybooking.
For more information contact Council’s Sustainability Project Officer on 4677 1100.