Planning Rules and Information

View from Warragamba Lookout

Development in Wollondilly is guided by a number of legal and guideline documents.  The following information is provided to assist in the preparation of your Development Application.  If you need to know the zoning of your land or if it is constrained by bushfire, mine subsidence, flooding and/or threatened species for example, please see the following information.


Every new dwelling house, additions greater than $50,000 or swimming pools larger than 40,000 litres are required to be designed and built to meet energy and water efficiency requirements.  Visit the BASIX website for further information.

If your land is located within a mapped bushfire prone area, then you will need to prepare a bushfire hazard assessment in accordance with Planning for Bushfire Protection 2006 and Section 2.8 from Volume 1 of Wollondilly Development Control Plan.

Further Information can be found on the New South Wales Rural Fire Service website which will assist in the preparation of the assessment report and your Development Application. 

Developments that require particular scrutiny because of their nature or potential environmental impacts.  Designated Developments include land use that has a high potential to have adverse impacts because of their scale or nature or because of their location near sensitive environmental areas such as wetlands.  These 'Designated Developments' are listed in Schedule 3 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.


Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000

Depending on the type of Development, contributions may need to be paid before a Construction or Subdivision Certificate can be issued.  These contributions are used to fund library resources, provide playground equipment or sporting facilities within the Shire.  


Development Contributions

There are a number of adopted policies:

Compliance Policy

To assist you please refer to our Development Application Checklist which provides details relating
to the type of information required and the number of copies of each document required. Please read
the checklist carefully; ensure you sign and submit the checklist with your application.


Development Application Glossary

The western portion of the Shire is located within the Sydney Drinking Water Catchment.  This area is important catchment as it collects Sydney's potable water for human consumption and use.  Developments within the catchment must not have an impact on the water flowing into Warragamba Dam.  Certain developments will need to be sent to the Water NSW for approval. 


Wollondilly Development Control Plan

Sydney Catchment Authority

What is happening in my area?

Council can provide information regarding application submitted and approved in your area, the only information that you need to know is the address of the property you would like information on.  With this information you can access Council's DA Tracker and track the status of Development Applications in your area.


When is a Development Application required to be submitted and how do I lodge an application?

For information on when a Development Application is required and how to lodge an application please click here.


What can I build on my land including Granny Flats (Council refers to this as a 'Secondary Dwelling')?

Firstly you will need to know the zoning of your land, as the land use zone governs what you can or can't do on your land.  You can find this information out through the Planning Tools.  By choosing the 'Interactive Buildings' tool, agreeing to their terms and conditions, you can then search the property address that you are interested in and this will display information about the property.


What can I do on my land without Council Permission?

There are developments you are able to do on your land without the need for Council Consent, this is called an exempt development - this includes such things as fences, barbeques, driveways, garden sheds, carports.  (Always check with Council prior to undertaking any works).

You can use the Electronic Housing Code tool to see what you can do on your land.


Can I subdivide my land?

Firstly you will need to establish the minimum lot size. This information can be found through the NSW Planning Portal.  All you need to do is agree to the terms and conditions and then type in the street address you are interested in and the information will be presented.

If you need further information you should contact a Town Planner - Monday to Friday 8.00am to 12.00pm on 4677 1100.


How can I get a copy of my House Plans?

Council holds the records for houses, sheds and other structures that are built on a parcel of land.  You can obtain a copy of this information by submitting a GIPAA (Government Information (Public Access) Act request to Council.  Information Access application Form.  Once submitted these applications will be processed by our GIPAA Officer and you will be contacted regarding your request.  It should be noted that due to Copyright, some information held by Council is not able to be reproduced, these types of documents include:

  • Geotechnical Reports
  • Salinity Reports
  • Traffic Reports
  • Statement of Environmental Effects
  • Flora & Fauna Assessments
  • Bushfire Reports


There are a number of areas within the Shire that are affected or suspected to be affected by flooding and stormwater inundation.  Applications in affected areas will need to consider Council's Flood Controls.

Development Applications involving the preparation and/or sale of food and drinks, other than packaged food, specific information and plans are required to be submitted in accordance with the Australian Standards and the NSW Safe Food legislation.

Further information under Public Health.

Areas of the Shire are not suitable for development because of slope, stability of land slip.  Council may require a geotechnical report to help determine if land is suitable for the proposed development.  Areas of the Shire are also located in proclaimed mining areas.  Developments within mining areas will need to be reviewed by the Mines Subsidence Board before lodgement. 


Wollondilly Development Control Plan

Mine Subsidence NSW

The Wollondilly Shire Local Government Area is both rich with Aboriginal and European history.  A number of properties throughout the Shire are listed Local or State items of Heritage Significance.  If your property is listed or adjoining a heritage listed property, you will need to consider your development's impact.  Use the following links to assist in preparing your Development Application.


Heritage Database WLEP 2011 - Schedule 5

Wollondilly Development Control Plan 2016 - Volume 1 - Part 5-7

Community Strategic Plan

Heritage Information

Standard Wording for Easements, Restrictions and Positive Covenants is a guide provided to assist suitably qualified solicitors, conveyancers and registered surveyors in preparing a section 88B instrument for Subdivision Certificate applications pursuant to the provisions of the Conveyancing Act 1919 (NSW).


Standard Wording for Easements, Restrictions and Positive Covenants

There are a number of State and Regional plans that apply to the Shire.  Each development application will need to be considered during the preparation of your development.  Council may need specific information or reports before an application can be assessed.  


Department of Planning & Environment - List of State Policies

Department of Planning & Environment - List of Regional Plans - Deemed State Policies

Voluntary Planning Agreements are agreements between developers and planning authorities.  They are contracts where developers agree to fund public amenities, transport or other infrastructure in place of paying Council contributions.  


Voluntary Planning Agreements (includes a Fact Sheet and Council's Register of Planning Agreements)

Department of Planning & Environment - Voluntary Planning Agreements

Parts of the Shire do not have access to the Sydney Water Sewerage Scheme and will need to rely on onsite disposal of effluent.  All land that does not have access to a sewage scheme will need to provide a Wastewater Assessment Report detailing if land is capable of disposal of black and greywater.  For more information.....

 Development Control Plans (DCPs) provide planning standards and controls to guide new development in Wollondilly. They are relevant to applications for development, e.g. Development Applications and requests to remove trees.

 The DCP support planning controls in the Wollondilly Local Environmental Plan 2011.


Wollondilly Development Control Plan

The Local Environmental Plan is the legal document that controls the use of land within the Shire.  For example, whether you can build a house, subdivide land or commercial activities.