Developing a Personal Emergency Plan is one way you can be better prepared in extreme emergency such as a fire, flood or storm.
What to prepare:
- Identify the kinds of emergencies that could impact on you – is your home at risk of natural disasters such as severe storms, flooding or bushfire? To see if you're in a flood or bushfire zone, use our online mapping tool.
- Create a Home Evacuation Plan – Draw a floor plan of your home, mark up a main escape route and backup escape routes. Include routes out of your area, location of equipment, medications, a meeting place outside of your home. Provide a copy to family and household members and place a copy on the fridge. Example
- Create a Contact List – Details of family members/carers, local emergency telephone numbers (SES, Local Council, Gas, Electricity, Water), place a copy near your phone, always dial Triple Zero (000) for Police, Fire and Ambulance.
- Identify meeting places – for everyone in your household – ONE close to your home, ONE further away from home in case you cannot return to your area.
- Inform Schools and Child Care authorities – of people who are permitted to pick up your children if you are unable to do so. Back
- Bushfire Survival Plan (RFS)
- Personal Extreme Weather Plan (NSW Health)
- Home Emergency Plan (NSW SES)
- Escape Plan (NSW Fire & Rescue) It is also a good idea to follow your local emergency agencies on Facebook/Twitter
- Find out about other Emergency Plans – your children’s schools, your workplace, your apartment building.
- Develop a plan for family pets & livestock – animals may not be allowed to evacuation shelters.
- Insurance – Ensure you have adequate household insurance and take a copy of your current policy with you.
- Important Documents – store important documents safely (eg., wills, passports, birth & marriage certificates, insurance policies), in a waterproof container or safe deposit box.
- Locate where to turn off - water, gas and electricity supplies in your home.
- Learn some basic First Aid.
- Prepare a Home Emergency Kit – Store in a waterproof box in an easy to reach place, ensure everyone knows where it is, check use-by dates regularly.