Are You Insured?

Yes, I’m insured…

If you are insured talk to your insurance company as soon as possible about how to make a claim. Take photos or video of damage to your property and possessions as evidence for your claim. If you have clearance from your insurer and evidence for your claim, you can start cleaning up.

  • The Insurance Council of Australia can be contacted with any questions, complaints or concerns about insurance on 1800 734 621.
  • Legal Aid NSW can provide free legal advice and minor assistance to people affected by disasters on a range of issues, including insurance, on 1800 801 529.


No, I’m not insured…

NSW Government Disaster Relief Grants are available for eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household contents have been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster.

To be eligible for this assistance you must:

  • Be a low-income earner and meet an income assets test
  • Demonstrate that the affected home is your principal place of residence
  • Not be covered by insurance
  • Demonstrate that the damage was caused by the disaster
  • Lodge the application within four months of the disaster occurring

Disaster Welfare Assistance Line: 1800 018 444.


Both insured and un-insured

The NSW Government Public Works Advisory is also providing support for the clean-up and removal of bushfire debris from residences and immediately adjacent outhouses. Council has JP's available to assist with the stat deck process. 

Public Works Advisory Line: 1800 88 55 39.