Pets and Livestock

NSW Department of Primary Industries and Local Land Services 

The NSW Department of Primary Industries and Local Land Services are providing assistance to fire affected landholders with emergency fodder and water, animal care, livestock or animal assessment, and where necessary euthanasia and burial.

Producers can report stock losses and infrastructure damage, or request animal assessment, or emergency fodder or water for stock, by calling the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647. People without phone access can send a direct message via the NSW DPI Facebook page.

For more information please see NSW Department of Primary Industries and Local Land Services.


Local Land Services

Local Land Services can assist with emergency fodder, stock water and assessment of animals impacted by the fire. 
Landholders are also encouraged report any stock losses or animal welfare issues.
Local Land Services: 1800 814 647.


Companion Animals (Dogs and Cats) 

The Animal Shelter can be contacted by phone on (02) 4677 1100 on weekdays between 8am and 4.30pm or by contacting (02) 4677 0462 between 10am and 1pm weekends.

The Animal Shelter is open to the public on weekdays between 3pm and 4.30pm and between 10am and 1pm on Saturdays and Sundays.  The animal shelter is closed on Public Holidays.

Wollondilly's Animal Shelter is located on Wonga Road, Picton. Public entry to the Animal Shelter is now via the Animal Shelter Office located in the Resource Centre between the Animal Shelter and the Council Nursery.

Council has been advised by a number of vets that they are at capacity caring for injured animals and will possibly not be able to accommodate more stray animals.

As an alternative you may wish to contact the Animal Welfare League on 02 - 889 93 33 or the RSPCA on (02) 9770 7555 or (02) 4271 3410.

If you have been evacuated unfortunately dog, cat and other animal facilities are not available at the relief sites of Picton Bowling Club or Mittagong RSL.  If possible, request a friend or family member to take your animals on your behalf.  Other alternatives could be boarding kennels outside of the Shire or in those parts of the Shire unaffected by the fires.