Trees on Public Land

View from Warragamba Lookout

If a tree or shrub is on the footpath, the road side outside a property boundary or in a park or reserve then it is on Council land. As a result, planting, pruning or removal of trees or shrubs on Council land requires written consent from Council.


Council's Customer Request Maintenance Team on 4677 1100 or 

Relevant Links

Customer Request Form

If you are concerned about a tree that appears to be dangerous, Council recommends that you contact either a consulting arborist or tree surgeon to inspect the tree and remove it if needed. A tree is exempt from requiring approval if a consulting arborist or Council identifies it as an imminent hazard or risk.

Council always recommends you take a photo or have some supporting evidence for trees that are removed in this manner. This is to ensure you are not liable for a fine if the tree was proven to be in good health.

If it is found that the tree does not pose an immediate hazard you may apply for an exemption, permit or Development Application from Council for its removal.

If the dangerous tree is on Council property (including on nature strips), please make a Customer Request to Council.

In the circumstance where a tree has fully or partially failed and is presenting a risk to persons or property, or is blocking access; the SES may be able to assist. The SES can be contacted on 13 25 00.


Any person that undertakes or authorises tree clearance that contravenes the provisions of the Tree Preservation Order shall be guilty of an offence against the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and will be liable to prosecution.

A person found guilty of an offence against the Act shall be liable to a penalty. In addition to a penalty, a person found guilty of an offence may be required to plant new trees and vegetation, and maintain them to a mature growth.

If your Request for Permission to Remove a Dead, Dying or Dangerous Tree (TR10) application is refused you can apply for a Tree Removal Permit or submit a Development Application for removal of the tree. Alternatively, if the tree continues to deteriorate you can resubmit a Permission to Remove a Dead, Dying or Dangerous Tree (TR10) application.

If your Development Application is refused you may appeal the decision in the Land and Environment Court.