Wollondilly Shire Council has now completed rehabilitation works at the site previously known as Warragamba Landfill. The rehabilitation works involved installing a pipe system and geotextile sealing layer to ensure the site continues to remain safe into the future.
Wollondilly Shire Council contracted GHD, the Shepherd Group and Airsafe to complete the rehabilitation works.
Council's Manager - Environment on 4677 1100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monitoring of gasses and leachate collection and disposal will be ongoing into the foreseeable future at the old Warragamba Landfill site, although it is hoped that the need will reduce over time as the site stabilises.
As a result, the potential use of the site will be extremely limited which is often the case for closed landfills. Moreover, there will be restraints on any buildings or structures on the site as it is imperative that the integrity of the surface capping is maintained and consequently this will affect any future use of the site.
Wollondilly Shire Council was the principal organisation in the rehabilitation project and was project managing the rehabilitation works at the old Warragamba Landfill Site. However, Council sought advice from a range of experts, consultants, contractors and regulators to develop a rehabilitation works plan that is regarded as an industry standard "best practice" model for rehabilitation works.
In particular, the primary design engineers for the rehabilitation works were GHD, who are highly regarded as a leader in landfill rehabilitation projects. Additionally, the Shepherd Group were Council's construction contractors and Airsafe were employed to assist with asbestos management. Furthermore, the EPA, who approved the rehabilitation works plan, were involved in continuing to monitor the project as it progressed.
Wollondilly Shire Council is committed to protecting the local environment. The old Warragamba Landfill operated under a licence granted by the NSW Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). Once the landfill reached its maximum capacity after 30 years of operation the licence required the site to be closed and rehabilitated so that it remains safe into the future.