My Aged Care is the Australian Government’s starting point on your aged care journey. Find and access the government-funded services you need.
Download the My Aged Care Step by Step Guide.
My Aged Care Step by Step Guide: How to get In-Home Support
Commonwealth Home Support Programme
Funded by the Australian Government, Commonwealth Home Support Programme provides a range of entry-level Aged Care Services for older people who need assistance to enable them to continue to live independently in their home and community. The program is for people aged 65 years and over and for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and over.
Step 1: Contact My Aged Care and Register
- You can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422
- Your partner, carer, family member or friend can also contact My Aged Care on your behalf.
- Your Doctor can contact My Aged Care on your behalf
- You can also contact My Aged Care on the My Aged Care website
- You will need to have your Medicare card number and answer some screening questions during the phone call
Step 2: Getting Your Needs Assessed by Having a Home Support Assessment
- After your call to My Aged Care, if eligible you will be referred for a face-to-face assessment, which will take place in your own home
- The assessor will contact you to make a time that suits and inform you what to expect in the assessment
- To prepare for your assessment it is important to think about what services you might need so you can discuss with your assessor such as domestic help, personal care, transport to appointments and activities, home modifications and social support activities.
- Think about what is most important to you in life, those things that you might have once enjoyed and now might be easier if you had some support. This could be anything that gives you a sense of joy or satisfaction.
- You are welcome to have someone with you during this assessment
- The Assessor will leave some information for you and your family to read and then will send more information to you about the services
Step 3: Agree on a Home Support Plan
- At the visit you will be able to agree on a Home Support Plan
- You will still be able to choose what services you wish to have
- The assessor will send you details of the services and service providers available in your local area
- My Aged Care will also send your details to service providers in your local area.
Step 4: Select Service Providers and Work Out Any Fees
- Once your Home Support Plan has been approved, you will be sent details of Local services that you can contact to get your assistance
- You or your family can also use the My Aged Care website to find lists of service providers in the area
- Services providers will also give you written information about their costs
- They will give you a written service agreement and then begin your services for you
Step 5: Manage Your Services
- Your In-home CHSP services are chosen and managed by you.
- The agency that you choose will appoint a service coordinator who will look after your support services and that person will be able to assist you with any changes that you may need for the future
- You are able to change service providers if you wish to and My Aged Care staff can usually answer any questions that you have