Proposed Naming of Roads - Menangle

View from Warragamba Lookout

Proposed Naming of Roads - Menangle

Closes: 17/10/2019 5:00pm

Roads Act, 1993 & Roads Regulation 2018, Part 2, Division 1

Notice is hereby given that Wollondilly Shire Council, in pursuance of Clause 7 of the above regulation proposes to name the following road/s:

Proposed Names:    Rotolactor Parade

                                   Central Creamery Avenue

                                   Laurel Street

                                   (naming origin details are below)

Description:              3 new roads within subdivision of Lot 201 DP 590247

                                   15 Menangle Road, Menangle

Forward written submissions to Wollondilly Shire Council at, PO Box 21, Picton NSW 2571, clearly outlining reasons for such objection. Submissions for the proposal close 5pm Thursday 17 October 2019.

For further information, please contact Council’s Administration Officer –   GIS/Property on (02) 4677 9736.

Proposed Name


Name Origin



The Menangle Rotolactor was started by Edward Macarthur-Onslow, who went on to develop it into a tourist attraction visited by practically every Sydney resident of the 1960s and 70s- the nation’s first rotary dairy. In 1980 it was declared a National Tourist attraction by the Macarthur district Gazette. It was the second of this design in the world. Indeed fond memories of the family trek to visit the Rotolactor and buy a milkshake has ensured Menangle holds a special place in the hearts of millions of Sydneysiders. A Rotolactor is a milking parlour or dairy that uses a rotating platform to milk a large number of cows in a short time. The idea was conceived in America in 1924 and the first Rotolactor was built in New Jersey a few years later. In the 1940s the manager of Camden Park Estate, Lieutenant-Colonel Edward Macarthur Onslow, inspected the American Rotolactor while overseas on a business trip. After gaining information about its operation and costs, he returned home with enthusiasm to build a Rotolactor on Camden Park at Menangle. It was the first in Australia and only the third of its kind in the world at that time. It was in effect a multi-cow rotary automatic milking machine 18.3 metres in diameter.  Its whole circumference was enclosed with glass windows to give natural light, which was supplemented by artificial fluorescent tube lighting for early mornings and winter afternoons. The mechanism consisted of a circular platform mounted on roller bearing steel which rotated anti-clockwise on two circular rails resting on concrete walls 1.8 metres above the floor. Normally with the 50 bails operating the rate was 300-375 cows an hour with ten operators. The 900 yard cows were mainly fed with concentrates and roughage from the irrigated acres of the Cowpasture Flats bordering the river.  Each cow gave an average of 12.5 litres of 4.3 per cent butterfat milk.  Menangle became the chief receiving depot ... during its heyday the Rotolactor was a popular tourist was touted as a miraculous new technology that could milk up to 2000 cows twice a day. The Rotolactor held 50 cows at the one time. Cows did one complete circuit and were fed while they were milked. They left the Rotolactor at the same point as they started but via a different race so they could walk forward rather than reverse out. Higher producing cows needed more time to be milked, so the Rotolactor had three speeds: an eight minute rotation for low producers, a 10 minute lap for average producers and 12 minutes for high producers. Consequently the cows were split into three groups – the freshly calved cows in one, top producers in another, and cows at the end of their lactation in the third. To assist identification, each cow wore a necklace and was fed according to its type. The highest producing cows wore a chain necklace and were given the most feed in the bails while being milked. The middle producers wore a white cord and received less. The lowest producers wore a green necklace and received the least concentrates in the bail. The Rotolactor was regarded as an Australian icon. In the 1950s and 1960s up to 2,000 visitors a week travelled to Menangle to see it in action and one estimate puts the number of visitors during its 20 years of operation under Macarthur ownership at over three million people. The Rotolactor closed in January 1977 and was unused for several years until Cork Investments sold the block of land on which it stood to a dairying family that traded as Halfpenny Hobbs Pty Ltd. The Halfpennys renovated and modified the Rotolactor before reopening it for their own dairy. It finally closed about 1983. The Rotolactor dairy was one of more than 160 dairies in the Camden-Macarthur area in the 1960s.  © State of New South Wales through NSW Department of Industry on all uses.



Built by the Macarthur’s adjacent to the railway station in 1898. The Creamery initially separated milk for the sweet cream trade in Sydney and from 1929 became the local depot for receiving whole milk for the city distribution. After 1917 milk was sent raw to the Dairy Farmers Co-Operative Milk Company in Sydney, to Campbelltown and then by train. Historic in that as it shows the extent of commercial dairying and its connection to Camden Park Estate (was the largest dairy in Australia) and this site of the development and subdivision surrounding the Creamery building



The Central Creamery produced Camden Park’s brand of butter called "Laurel" butter and the Creamery was the first butter factory in NSW.

The proposed names were with Council consultation with the Picton Heritage Society.

Image of The Rotolactor

Image of The Rotolactor with cows

Image of jars of Laurel butter